1. Champion Data and privacy
Champion Data Pty Limited ACN 073 008 063 (Champion Data) understands the importance of protecting the privacy of an individual’s personal information.
In handling personal information, Champion Data will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act (subject to exemptions that may apply to Champion Data under the Privacy Act, such as the employee records exemption or the related bodies corporate exemption).
2. Who does Champion Data collect personal information about
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual.
In order to conduct its business as a provider of sports statistics, sports information and sports publication services, Champion Data may collect personal information about:
- individuals who acquire products or services from Champion Data or otherwise interact with Champion Data;
- athletes or sportspeople who participate in the sports or other events in respect of which Champion Data provides sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services or other similar services; and
- coaches, officials, team representatives and other similar individuals who participate in the sports or other events in respect of which Champion Data provides sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services or other similar services.
If you express an interest in working for Champion Data or submit your CV to Champion Data (whether in response to an advertised position or otherwise), Champion Data may retain your CV or other personal information you submit to Champion Data for the purpose of contacting you regarding any employment opportunities with Champion Data which Champion Data considers may be of interest to you.
3. What kinds of personal information does Champion Data collect
The kinds of personal information Champion Data collects will vary depending on the types of dealings or interactions Champion Data has with you.
If you acquire products or services from Champion Data or otherwise interact with Champion Data regarding our products or services, the kinds of personal information Champion Data may collect regarding you include your name, residential or business address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, credit card or other payment related information and information regarding the products or services you have previously acquired from Champion Data or enquired about.
If you are an athlete, sportsperson, coach, official or team representative, Champion Data may collect statistical or other information relevant to your participation in the sports in respect of which Champion Data provides sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services or other similar services.
In some cases Champion Data may also collect health information about individuals, for example information made publically available by an athlete or club regarding injuries to athletes or sportspeople who participate in the sports in respect of which Champion Data provides sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services or other similar services. Champion Data will collect, use and disclose any such health information for the purpose of providing Champion Data’s sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services or other similar services.
In addition, if you are an athlete that nominates for the AFL national draft, Champion Data may compile and hold personal information relating to you including statistical information relating to you and your participation in the sport of Australian Football and health information relating to you (which may include medical reports or assessments relating to you).
4. How does Champion Data collect personal information
Champion Data will generally seek to collect personal information directly from you, for example when you purchase products or services from Champion Data, sign up for a Champion Data newsletter or similar service or otherwise interact with Champion Data.
In some cases, Champion Data may collect your personal information from sources other than you such as from an information services provider, from a publicly maintained record or other publicly available sources of information or using its own information collection resources.
Generally, Champion Data will only collect your personal information from sources other than you if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect your personal information directly from you.
5. Why does Champion Data collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
Champion Data primarily collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information for the purposes of providing Champion Data’s sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services, software applications and other similar services.
This may include using and disclosing personal information to facilitate or otherwise in connection with:
- Champion Data providing its sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services, software applications and other similar services;
- Champion Data keeping and maintaining statistics databases regarding sports, sporting teams, athletes, sportspeople or sports officials;
- Champion Data verifying your identity, processing payments made by you to Champion Data or otherwise managing your relationship with Champion Data;
- Champion Data communicating with you regarding its sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services, software applications and other similar services;
- Champion Data providing you with information about events, products or services of Champion Data or its commercial partners that may be of interest to you;
- Champion Data promoting and marketing Champion Data and or the products, services or events of Champion Data;
- Accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes of Champion Data; and
- Complying with the obligations of Champion Data under any applicable laws.
Champion Data may also use and disclose your personal information for purposes related to the above purposes and for which you would reasonably expect Champion Data to do so in the circumstances, or where you have consented or the use or disclosure is otherwise in accordance with law.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, Champion Data takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the personal information is relevant to the purpose for which it is to be used or disclosed. You are under no obligation to provide your personal information to Champion Data. However, without certain information from you, Champion Data may not be able to provide its services to you.
6. Disclosure of personal information by Champion Data
- recipients of Champion Data’s sports statistics, sports information, sports publication services, software applications and other similar services;
- third parties engaged by Champion Data to perform administrative or other business management functions for Champion Data, including (without limitation) web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, payment processors, data entry service providers and electronic network administrators;
- Champion Data’s commercial and business partners (including Champion Data’s joint venture partners, shareholders and other parties that Champion Data has a commercial relationship with from time to time);
- Champion Data’s professional advisors, contractors, consultants and related bodies corporate; and
- Champion Data’s insurance providers.
Champion Data may also disclose personal information to a third party with the consent of the relevant individual or if the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
7. Overseas disclosure
8. Direct marketing
Champion Data may use and disclose your personal information in order to inform you of products and services of Champion Data, Champion Data’s related bodies corporate or Champion Data’s commercial or business partners that may be of interest to you.
This may include Champion Data disclosing your personal information to related bodies corporate of Champion Data or other entities with which Champion Data has a commercial relationship or arrangement for the purpose of such other entities contacting you regarding offers or information (which may include offers or information about the products or services of such other entity).
9. Security of personal information
Champion Data takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Champion Data holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises. Champion Data implements data security and physical security practices and procedures including firewalls, data encryption and premises access controls.
Personal information may also, in certain circumstances, be held on behalf of Champion Data in hard copy or electronic forms by Champion Data’s service providers (such as offsite document storage providers or electronic data storage providers). Champion Data enters into agreements with such service providers which impose confidentiality and privacy obligations on the service provider.
10. Access and correction
Champion Data takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
Under the Privacy Act, you have a right to seek access to and correction of your personal information that is collected and held by Champion Data.
If at any time you would like to access or correct the personal information that Champion Data holds about you, please contact Champion Data’s Privacy Compliance Officer on the details set out in paragraph 11 below.
Champion Data will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To obtain access to your personal information:
- you may be required to provide proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- Champion Data requests that you be reasonably specific about the information you require; and
- Champion Data may charge you a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to Champion Data for providing access in accordance with your request.
If Champion Data refuses your request to access or correct your personal information, Champion Data will provide you with written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms available to you. If Champion Data provides access to your personal information, Champion Data will take steps reasonable in the circumstances to provide you with access in a manner that meets your needs and the needs of Champion Data.
Champion Data will endeavour to respond to your request to access or correct your personal information within 30 days from your request.
11. How to contact Champion Data
For further information or enquiries regarding your personal information, or if you would like to opt-out of receiving any promotional or marketing communications, please contact Champion Data's Privacy Compliance Officer, using any of the following contact details:
12. Privacy complaints
Please direct all privacy complaints to Champion Data’s Privacy Compliance Officer (contact details are set out in paragraph 11 above). At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously by Champion Data;
- will be dealt with promptly by Champion Data;
- will be dealt with by Champion Data in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect your existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between you and Champion Data.
Champion Data’s Privacy Compliance Officer will commence an investigation into your complaint. You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint following completion of the investigation. In the event that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may refer the complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.